Thursday, December 14, 2006

I think we have a problem...

I have a great concern when I read news articles like this one:
"Federal regulators announced Wednesday that additional warnings about suicide risks associated with antidepressant drugs are needed. But the proposed label changes wouldn't apply to the majority of patients who take the mood-altering drugs."
As a youth worker, and at least half of all the young people I work with taking some type of anti-depressant or the like without first being told that this isn't a miracle drug is a real concern.
It concerns me that health systems are often overly reactive looking just at the outcome, which in this case is depression. People are not told that antidepressants will not fix everything; the fact that a person was raped or physically/emotionally abused as a child does not seem to impact on anything.

Then to hear that antidepressants are a major link to suicide and that they should carry warnings...

If this is a concern to you, then I plead with you, pray, and don't just pray, act; I think as Christians and people seeking truth it is a worthy cause to champion; people need community. Community, where it is safe to be broken, and then to grow.


Another concern but one I'll only comment on is the title of the newspaper article
"FDA warnings won't hurt antidepressants"
That all that is the real concern is that the ass end may fall out of the business.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 pm, January 03, 2007, Blogger urbanmonk said...

Hi..

Just wanted to say gday and thanks for leaving the comments on my blog.. I was going to ask how you linked to me, but I see in your side bar.. you know the rev and unoh etc... Im not really that involved with anything they do, but I know them.

This is an insightful post too, by the way..Ive been on and off antidepressants over the years. you must find it interesting to be working in the emplyment services sector, where so much seems to be driven purely by out come, with out taking peoples hearts and lives into account. Is this a fair assessment? Or is my bitterness showing again?

ive experienced being on the recieving end of employment services while wrestling with dysfunctional life issues first hand, as have members of my family..Its something I would like to be involved with in helping others if thhings were different..

Thanks again.. Ill check back regularly.

 
At 3:58 pm, January 03, 2007, Blogger Josh and Melody said...

Thanks for reading my thoughts
Your comment about employment service sectors being driven by out come and not caring about people at all sadly, is largely spot on. Most of the battle is which matters more? The person or the outcome, and pretty much everytime it's the outcome, because without the outcome there is no employment and so the spiral goes.
It's my biggest battle, how can I love people like Jesus did and expects me to, when I'm tied to outcomes...
It's also my biggest reason to look to the future, and think, how could I make this different to change the objective? It would mean massive changes, but it would be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home