Thursday, November 30, 2006

Rabbits for sale and New Friends

Yesterday morning Mel opened the door to a young woman and her 8-year-old son from across the road, with eyes wet from tears asking Mel if she had seen any dogs go into her yard. As it turned out while at school with her son for the recess period some dogs had broken into their rabbit hutch, killed, and eaten his rabbits.

I feel honoured that God would bring simple opportunities to connect with broken people around us. The hurts in this young single mother’s life do not start and end with dead rabbits, but our friendship with this family started with dead rabbits.

On my way through town yesterday morning long before I got the msg from Mel about the above story, I noticed a small sign amongst all the others, with delicate handwriting stating Rabbits for Sale.

That night after a meal together and many cuddles, a rabbit was chosen and named: Cutie Pie. Ours is called Kevin but that’s another story.

I know God is advancing his kingdom. I wonder how much of that advancement is done through might and power, and how much is done through little acts like buying a rabbit for a brokenhearted little boy and his mum. I also wonder how many little opportunities I miss everyday, while I'm busy looking for that single massive event, that is going to see mass conversions etc, and I can ride the wave of success all the way to the shore, tell the story of when I changed the world and all that other B.S. that comes with my ego.

"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord Almighty."
Zechariah 4:1-6

(I'll get a picture up on flickr later of Cutie Pie and his proud owner, oh and Kevin)

1 Comments:

At 3:10 pm, December 01, 2006, Blogger Grubb said...

That's it man. This is all we have to do. There is no accident in any of this. What a truly awesome God story.

I love thinking about the fact that God cared about this boy and his relationship with his pet rabbit. He wanted the boy to know that he cares and that his people care too.

I heard a saying that has always stuck with me... People don't care what you know until they know you care. Our opportunities to share meaningfully about our Lord only come when we take the time to truly care. Caring for people is the ploughing of the field in readiness for planting the seed.

Good on you guys, that is an inspiring story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home