Friday, December 01, 2006

reading and general thoughts


I've been getting stuck into Ash Barkers latest book 'Surrender All - A call to sub-merge with Christ'
I have found it a book that really rattles my cage. I wanted to share a small part out of it that I read last night.

“Anthropologist Bronislaw Malinowski claims there is a difference between magic and true religion. Magic attempts to manipulate spiritual forces so that the supplicant can get what the supplicant wants. But true religion is about surrendering to God so that God can do through the supplicant what God wants. The rich young ruler will not surrender all to Jesus and his lack of obedience is evidence that he is more about magic than true faith."

This statement reminded me of something that I heard Steve Said say once. Generally speaking, as Christians we don't have a theology but rather a mythology.

I don't have conclusions or answers or opinions, I'll just leave it out there...

4 Comments:

At 4:07 pm, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing to do with your post sorry! however, I found your blog and wanted to say hi - it was good meeting you both (three?) at the forge intensive in Melbourne! I was the one with newborn Jemima in case you are wondering. Look forward to reading more of your thoughts on the blog...

 
At 8:38 am, December 04, 2006, Blogger stephen said...

I was proud to have been called Dad by the team at our last forge intensive in melbourne but I am so proud to be your Dad and Dad in-law and to have your love and respect. You show that same love in your life where ever you are. Enjoy the book son.

 
At 5:02 pm, December 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow this book looks like a 'keeper' that quote about the difference between magic + true religion would be useful in demolishing differing ideas around roche.. gus made a comment today quoting a good book (2 cor 10) "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.”

 
At 11:00 pm, December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Josh and Mel,
It was fantastic to meet you two and team from Tassie! It was inspirational and I look forward to coming down sometime next year and visiting!
About the book - Ash is an awesome author and I also find his words very challenging for my own life. Enjoy the book but also be challenged by the words as I am sure you will be.
God Bless and I hope to meet you guys again soon!
I will be dropping by here now that I have found it to enjoy your words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home