Friday, May 18, 2007

Kids

Mel and I have had kids from around Rocherlea hanging out at our house, pretty much everyday for the last 3 months. It’s been amazing to meet all these little characters. It’s also been amazing to see them in their social settings and the values and attitudes that they come with. At first, they were hectic and over powering generally, but this week when Mel was in hospital with Chay, the two nights I was home alone it was amazing how much I missed their company and energy. They may just be kids, but it has me wondering about what Jesus meant when he said about us having to become like a child before we can enter the kingdom of God.

Yesterday I got home from work and Mel told me a story about her day, which involved the one of the kids specifically. Melody was about to walk up to the shop to get milk, and the kids were going to go with her. As she just got out the front door, she checked to see if she had enough $’s, as it turned out, she was a little short. On the announcement of going to the shop, one of the boys declared that he had $6 and was making a list of things that he was going to buy for himself. However, upon discovering that Mel did not have enough, he offered that he would give Mel the money that she needed to get the milk.

The rest of the story is irrelevant, but it got me to wondering again, about what Jesus meant when he said that we had to become like a child before we could enter His Kingdom. Moreover, here on my doorstep a 9-year-old boy shows me something of sharing valuable things with friends. A 9 year old having $6 is a significant thing. A 22 year old having $6 is nothing, however sometimes I am unprepared to part with small amounts for the sake of someone else; let alone part with something that is significant to me.

I wonder what else these (at first annoying) kids have to teach me about God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home